Experiences in the mountains
Lake Millstatt is surrounded by the Carinthian mountains, bordered by the "Hohe Tauern" mountain range and the Nockberge Biosphere Park. There are many alpine areas and opportunities for the hikers activity.
For example the 200 km long "Millstätter See Höhensteig" which is an alpine trail that connects the mountains at an altitude from 600 up to 2600 meters. Garnets (ruby gems) will accompany you on your walks.
Explore the "Nockalmstraße" (alpine road) that leads directly into the Nockberge Biosphere Park. Here you'll get the pleasures of a hiking on the picturesque rolling hills, pastures full of fragrant herbs and rare flowers.
Walk in the Garden of Eden! Some stages of the cross-border Alps Adriatic Trail go past on Lake Millstatt too. Have an eye for Lake Millstatt and dip in for a subsequent swimming. This will complete an active hiking day with breathtaking views.
Breakfast at the summit of the Goldeck mountain – Culinary hikes from hut to hut with "Almexpress" shuttle and a mountain guide – Sunset at the "Sternenbalkon" – many facilities that always fascinate.
Forced by the impressive mountains around Lake Millstatt with the "Nockberge" and the nearby "Hohe Tauern" you'll get many opportunities to do something for your health and soul: long walks around the lake, leisurely hikes between meadows and pastures, alpine mountaineering... …now it's your turn.
The lake is at 600 m, the plateau at 900 m and the "Millstätter Alpe" at 2,000 m above sea level. Climatically favorable situated in the south of Austria and the Alps you'll get particularly many hours of sunshine a year in this area. The salutary fresh air, pleasant temperatures and silence is a mix of facts that offers you a great time for an active holiday and best conditions to get distance to daily routine without stress and to gather new strength.
The summit experiences and the unique panoramic views will delight you.
Our Birkenhof turns out to be the ideal "base camp" for your hiking activities:
- We advise you competently
- Hiking maps hire
- Many tour suggestions of varying difficulty
- also suitable for the whole family
- Guided hiking experiences
- Mountain adventure: free access to the mountain roads with the "Millstätter See Inclusive Card" and the "Kärnten Card".
Sports climbing means fun, trains your muscles, stamina and skill and increases well-being and boosts your self-confidence. There are two different climbing gardens in Döbriach.
- The climbing garden "Jungfernsprung" is a unique climbing experience. Directly from the floating platform at the lake the climbers climb up the cliff (up to 30 m – difficulty 5 to 7+, use 60 m cable!). What's about a deserved dip in the lake, after a challenging ascent?
The entry on the B 98 parking lot is only a 15 minutes walk away from Birkenhof.
- The climbing park "Breitwand" offers 9 routes with several pitches in the alpine character (difficulty 3 to 8) and 30 sports climbing routes with difficulties from the 4th up to the 8th level. The via ferrata "Luft unter den Sohlen" (air under your feet) with it's near-vertical 130-meter wall does justice to her name and is a special incentive for via ferrata enthusiasts.
The access to the rock is a 20 minutes walk from the center of the village.
Get more information about further climbing routes by the guide "Felsberührungen – Klettern am Millstätter See" (rock touches – climbing at Lake Millstatt – published by the Austrian Alpine Club, Section Radenthein). This guide you will receive for free when booking at the Birkenhof. Climbing instructions are available on request.